Advice and emergency details for students under 18 studying at ICS
You should always carry your ICS card with you. This card has the school emergency number on it: 07470968250
Travelling to and from the school
We will give you a map of the city centre on your first day at the school, and we will check that you know how to find your homestay. Norwich is usually a safe place, but at night please be careful. For example, do not go to places where there are no other people, and if you are returning home from a school social activity in the evening, it is best to take a taxi home. Our school staff can telephone for a taxi for you. Do not walk home alone at night.
- You must be back at your homestay for dinner every evening. If you are going to be late for dinner, tell your host family.
- If you go out in the evening or at weekends, tell your host family where you are going, and with whom. Give your host family your mobile telephone number and keep your phone turned on at all times. Leave a telephone number or address where you can be contacted at all times.
- If you are under 16 years and you go out after dinner, you must be back at your accommodation by 22.00pm each night.
- If you are 16 or 17 years, you must be back at your accommodation by 22.30pm Sunday-Thursday, and 23.00 on Friday and Saturday.
- Be very careful with your personal possessions and do not carry too much money with you.
- If your behaviour causes concern to the school or to your host, ICS
reserves the right to inform your parents or your agent where appropriate.
When your classes have finished
When your classes have finished, you are very welcome to stay at the school and use the school’s self-access facilities in the Study Centre.
- If you have a problem big or small, either at school or with your accommodation, please tell someone at the school. Our Child Protection Officers, Maria Teresa and Richard are always happy to talk to you. You can also talk to your teacher or come to Reception. You can also ask your family to speak to us. The important thing is to talk to us. We want you to be happy and safe.
- If you are not at the school and you have a serious problem or emergency,
please call one of the numbers on your student card. The school telephone number is 01603 624021. If the school is closed, you will hear this mobile number: 07470968250 This is the school emergency number and it is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- If you need to contact the police, or get an ambulance, or call the fire service,
call the UK emergency number: 999
- If you have a problem and you do not want to tell anyone you know, you can call ChildLine on 08001111. ChildLine is a counselling service for children and young people.
Useful telephone numbers
Remember: You should give the school and your host family your mobile telephone number, and you should ask your host family for their mobile number.
- School: 01603 624021
- School Emergency: (24-hour service) 07470968250
- Police/Ambulance/Fire: 999
Child Protection Officer
If you have any worries or concerns and you would like to speak to a Child Protection Officer then come to Reception and ask for Maria Teresa and Richard.
- You cannot normally enter a pub or club, and you can never buy or drink alcohol, if you are under 18 years. Students of 16 or 17 should note that entry to UK pubs is at the publican’s discretion, even if the visit to the pub is part of the ICS social programme. If you buy or drink alcohol at an ICS pub night, or get somebody to buy it on your behalf, you will be stopped from coming to pub nights.
- You cannot buy tobacco/cigarettes if you are under 18 years. All soft/hard drugs are illegal in the UK. If someone offers you drugs, always say no!
We hope you enjoy your time here!