Under 18s at ICS
Courses at ICS are primarily designed for adult students, aged 18 and older. While we can welcome students aged 16 and 17, this is not a school that can provide 24 hour supervision, nor do we provide residential accommodation. Under 18 students either stay in their own accommodation arranged by their parents or guardians, or with a host family arranged by the school. It is clearly important that parents and guardians consider whether students under 18 are sufficiently emotionally mature to act responsibly during their time at ICS.
We ask parents or guardians of students under 18 to read the following carefully before booking their child to study at ICS. This will help you to understand what to expect when your child comes to study with us.
• Students under the age of 18 will study in classes that include adults.
• The school has a strict attendance policy for this age group. Students must attend all classes and can be absent only when unwell. In such cases, the student or the people they are staying with must telephone the school as soon as possible on the day of the illness.
• All students under 18 years requiring accommodation will be accommodated in carefully selected homestays. They must follow the host family’s rules. This will involve, among other things, use of the family’s telephone, TV and computer; having visitors; meal times; smoking; noise; use of the bathroom; cleanliness and tidiness; safety and security of the property. Students and their parents will be responsible for any damage they cause.
• Students will travel between the school and the host family unsupervised.
• Students will not be supervised during their free time, e.g. between the end of their lessons at the school and returning to their homestay, but they will be given advice on staying safe.
• The school has designated times for students under 18 to return to their homestay in the evening. All students aged 16 and 17 must be home by 10.30 pm at night, Sunday to Thursday inclusive, and by 11.00 on Friday and Saturday. They must also inform the host family where they are going and who they are going with.
• Students under 18 will not be allowed to stay overnight away from the host family, for example with a named friend or relative, without our receiving your written permission for such a visit. It will also require the school’s agreement.
• The school’s social programme is not compulsory, nor is it specifically designed for this age group. You can see examples of the social programme on our website. Students under 18 should note that entry to UK pubs is at the publican’s discretion, even if the visit to the pub is part of the ICS social programme.
• All school social activities, including our optional excursions in the Summer, are supervised by school staff who can assist the students attending the activity. However it should be understood that students attending evening social events are expected to arrange their own travel home. We strongly advise all students under 18 to return to their host family with a friend, or preferably by taxi, particularly when it is dark.
• You should ensure that your child has sufficient money to pay for lunches at the school, and for transportation in and around the city. For guidance, £4-6 per day should be sufficient for lunch each day, and a typical taxi fare is currently approximately £6-8 per journey.
• We advise all students under the age of 18 to book our return airport taxi transfer service, to avoid any problems upon arrival (unless they are travelling with a named friend or relative). All students under 18 MUST bring a completed parental consent form with them.
• ICS endeavors to liaise with parents, guardians and agents whenever there are concerns about a student under 18.
• ICS reserves the right to terminate the course of any student who seriously or persistently misbehaves at the school or in the homestay. In such cases, there will be no refund of fees, and parents will be responsible for their child’s return journey and the associated costs.
Updated 14th September 2016